Sand tart cookies with cinnamon are thin, crispy butter cookies that are hard to resist. They’re a holiday tradition in many families and this recipe makes a few dozen, so there’s plenty to share. Eat one and you may quickly find yourself munching more than expected.
Sand tart cookies with cinnamon delicious
While sand tart cookies with cinnamon are as easy as sugar cookies, there is one trick that sets them apart. The key to a great sand tart is to roll the cold dough very thin, right around 1/8-inch thick. This also makes them easier to burn, so watch carefully and pull them out of the oven as soon as they’re lightly golden brown.
These cookies are rolled out and cut into shapes using your favorite cookie cutters. If you use a simple round cookie cutter, you’ll notice that they look just like sand dollars, which is how they supposedly got their name.
Before the cookies are baked, you can adorn them with delicious toppings. Don’t Skip the egg white! It’s what gives these little morsels their crispness. However, Almonds and pecans are a great choice, but you can skip the nuts if you like (or have allergies). The cinnamon sugar adds holiday flavor and makes them perfect for winter baking.
- For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups/9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- Optional: 12 to 18 blanched almonds (split, or 24 to 36 pecan halves)
- For the Cinnamon Sugar:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder ( or broken cinnamon)
Gather the ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar and stir in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Blend the flour mixture into the creamed mixture to make a soft dough. Set in the refrigerator to chill, about 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 275 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it with cooking spray.
- Place the cold dough between lightly floured sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper. Roll it out to about 1/8-inch thick. Knead in more flour if needed.
- Cut into decorative shapes with cookie cutters and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon until well-mixed.
- Place one split nut on each cookie, if desired.
- Brush the cookies with a lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy crispy sand tart cookies with cinnamon!
Follow me for more delicious homemade recipes! Thanks everyone!